Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Loving Life in La Antigua

I am absolutely enjoying nearly every minute of life in Antigua.  I feel like I'm surrounded by old friends that I just haven't been near for all of my life ha ha. Simultaneously I am desperately missing my friends and family back home.  It's like I was put somewhere and you have two choices to thrive or go home, theres no in between.  Luckily God has shown me how to love where I am, look at all the positives, and have placed some wonderful people along the path.  Unfortunately, two of the wonderful people are going back to Texas tomorrow (Brooke and Lauren).  Brooke shares my twitter and Justin Bieber passion.  We bought the Justin Bieber movie for a dollar at a market and watched it at the school with 4 other people.  It was wonderful. 
They both also understand the complete fear of showering down here.  I promise my next blog will have a picture of the death trap.

Each day Im learning more Spanish and in turn I'm able to communicate more with my host family and learn more about them.  For example, Carlos the house dad is not a doctor like I thought he said, he owns a coffee farm.  You know what that means for breakfast?
thats right, instant coffee. They don't even own a coffee maker, or coffee outside of instant Nestle.  I mean thats like Mr. Coca Cola drinking Pepsi.  Its just nasty.  Anyway I will surrvive. Here are some pictures of my walk home monday night after trivia night at a local cafe. Which by the way the team name was Bieber Fever, only the guy had never heard of the Bieb's so it was actually Beaver Fever.  I think they might of been judging us.

 Is this not one of the most beautiful views? Everyday I pass it on the walk home.
 This is the view when its raining (which is nearly everyday, its rainy season)
 Lauren (Left) me and Brooke (Right) during our break of their last day of language school. SO SAD!
The other side of the roof of language school overlooking Antigua.


So all in all, I am enjoying this time of meeting new people, learning the language/culture, and preparing for my time with the the wonderful children when I get back to the home.  There isn't a ton to update, but I have so many thank you's for all of you for the encouragement that you have given me. Its a huge part of the reason I am learning to enjoy life here.  Thank you for reading =) I LOVE YOU ALL!

2 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, since you've been down there, I've started grinding and brewing Guatemala Antiqua coffee beans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you!!! I JUST figured out how to "publicly" follow your blog! hahah..can't believe i wasn't earlier. love u guatemalan!

    ReplyDelete